This is a delicious gluten free, low glycemic alternative flour to wheat and other grain flours. Coconut flour is high in fiber, high in protein and low in digestible carbohydrates. A single 2 Tbsp serving of coconut flour delivers 5 grams of fiber, 2 grams of protein and 8 grams of low glycemic carbs. This makes it ideal for all who wish to reduce their weight and improve digestive health.
Our Coconut Flour is made from fresh organic pared coconuts. The process begins with the removal of the oil in the cold-pressed manufacture of Virgin Coconut Oil producing partly defatted coconut flakes / cake. The coconut cakes are then dried and ground finely to produce our Coconut Flour. The resulting flour has between 16 to 20% protein, maximum 12% fat and between 40 to 50% dietary fiber.
The light coconut flavor allows coconut flour to blend seamlessly into sweet or savory baked goods. It makes a wonderful coating for chicken, fish or other proteins in place of regular flour or cornmeal. Because of its high fiber content, baking with coconut flour is a unique experience. Coconut flour requires slightly more liquid when cooking and is often used in an equal ratio of liquid to flour for best results. We recommend following a recipe designed for coconut flour when getting started. Many of these recipes for cakes and cookies will use additional eggs to improve the binding properties. Coconut Flour is excellent also when used in conjunction with other gluten free flours, such as from nuts, tapioca, sweet potato and so on.
Here’s a great link for 105 Coconut Flour recipes for you – click here or try your hand at the healthy coconut cake recipe below that utilizes all the 4 main coconut products: Virgin Coconut Oil, Coconut Milk, Coconut Flour and Coconut Sugar.
WHY USE COCONUT FLOUR?
- 100% Organic
- No added ingredients
- Gluten Free
- GMO Free
- Low Glycemic / Low Carb
- High Fibre & Prebiotic
- High Protein
- Unprocessed & unbleached
- Organic (USDA / NOP, EU and JAS) certified
- ISO 22000 Food Safety Management System certified
Gluten Free Chocolate Coconut Cake Recipe
1½ cups (150 grams) Rainforest Herbs organic coconut flour
½ cup Rainforest Herbs virgin coconut oil
½ cup cocoa powder
¼ coconut milk
1 ½ cups Rainforest Herbs organic coconut sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
- Add virgin coconut oil, coconut milk and cocoa powder and mix over a low heat and set aside
In a bowl mix together the eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla
- Add cocoa mixture to bowl
- Combine coconut flour and baking powder and whisk into batter until there are no lumps
- Pour batter into baking tray greased with virgin coconut oil
- Bake at 175 degrees C (350 degrees F) for 35 minutes or until knife inserted into centre comes out clean
How to make coconut sugar chocolate frosting.
First, make the icing sugar:
1 ½ cups Rainforest Herbs Organic Coconut Sugar
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
Place the coconut sugar and arrowroot into your food processor. Place the lid on tightly. Start on low speed and gradually work your way up to the highest speed. It will take a few minutes to powder the sugar. Keep blending the sugar until it is all powdered and light brown in color.
Ingredients for Chocolate Icing
- Coconut icing sugar (as above)
- 4 tablespoons Virgin Coconut Oil or Butter
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Milk or Cow’s milk
- 1 tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- In a saucepan, add Virgin Coconut Oil and coconut milk / cow’s milk. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Sift together cocoa and coconut icing sugar. Blend into liquid and add vanilla. If consistency is too stiff, add more milk.
- Spread quickly over cooled Coconut Chocolate Cake, as frosting will set up very fast.
- Sprinkle with dessicated coconut if desired.